Lockerbie Dryfesdale, Hutton and Corrie

Church of Scotland

Hutton and Corrie

Hutton and Corrie Church is a white painted, T-shaped building with seating for approximately 130 people.  It sits in its own ground and grave yard, in an elevated position at the south of the rural village of Boreland.  It is surrounded by fields and the views from the church are breathtaking.  It is well worth the steep climb up the paths to the church building.

A chapel existed at Hutton village in the 12th century; it is not known when the church was moved from there, but in 1609 the church of Hutton was ordained to be the church when the parishes of Hutton & Corrie were combined and the church at Corrie was allowed to become a ruin.

The present church was built in 1710, the floor was earthen and the roof was thatched.  Early records show that the church was also used as a school from 1745 until 1800.

In 1763 the Church was extended to form the T-shape it is now.  The belfry was added in 1820.  A small vestry and open porch were added on the west side in 1858 and in 1871 the east and north porches were added.

Within the church, in the wall of the north aisle, there is a mural monument commemorating the Reverend George Young (died 1749) which was erected by his son in 1757.

During the last quarter of the 19th century when Mr Thomas Rain was Minister, several innovations took place – hymns were introduced as well as psalms and paraphrases and the congregation now stood to sing and sat for prayers.  In 1888, Presbytery sanctioned the use of an organ – not popular with everyone!

Hutton and Corrie Church was linked with Eskdalemuir Church in 1962 and also to Tundergarth Church in 1986.  These linkages came to an end in 2007 when Hutton and Corrie Church united with Lockerbie Dryfesdale Church.

In 2010 Hutton and Corrie Church celebrated its tercentenary and the photograph of the external view of the Church which has been used throughout this website, was provided by photographer Gordon Rae to commemorate this event.

This information was gathered from several sources including Statistical Accounts, Colonel William Rogerson’s book “Hutton Under the Muir” and Parish Newsletters.

Top photo courtesy of Gordon Rae.  Other photo courtesy of Deana Price.