Lockerbie Dryfesdale, Hutton and Corrie

Church of Scotland

Dryfesdale

Lockerbie Dryfesdale Church is in the Scottish town of Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire.  The town is surrounded by beautiful rolling countryside.  Wherever you look in the town you can see views of the surrounding hills and fields.

The Church is located at the north end of High Street, Lockerbie DG11 2AA  and is close to the  centre of the town.  The building sits above the road and is surrounded by the Church grounds and graveyard.  It is a tall red sandstone building with a bell tower and a spire.  The main entrance is at the east side of the building, facing towards the road and the Church Hall.

Inside the building is quite ornate with a vaulted ceiling and a high marble pulpit.  The pillars supporting the upstairs balcony and the front panels of the balcony are beautifully decorated with pink and white plaster work.  The Church has seating for approximately 600 people. 

Dryfesdale Kirk is one of the oldest in the country.  It was one of nine kirks in Annandale during the reign of King David 1st. Royal documents of the time refer to Dryfesdale in 1116.  The churchyard and kirk at Sandbed were washed away in 1617 and again at Kirkhill in 1757.  It was in 1757 that the Laird of Lockerbie gifted the present site for the original church to be built.  The Church was enlarged in 1808 and then again in 1812 and the Session House and front wall of the Church were rebuilt in 1833 at a cost of £350.

The present church was built from 1896 to 1898 on the site of the earlier church and is a Grade B listed building.  The Parish takes its name from a local river, the Dryfe Water.

 

There is a feature page about this church on the website of Undiscovered Scotland

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/lockerbie/dryfesdale.  This website is well worth a visit and they have kindly given permission for the use of their photograph of the external view of the Church on the home page and throughout this website.  Other information from Tom Laurie and church records.

Other photos courtesy of Roddy Armstrong & Deana Price